Saudi Arabia is cracking down on extremists who have killed or injured hundreds of people, including foreign nationals, in attacks that are often blamed on Saudi Arabia’s government.
The country’s security authorities said Thursday that dozens of suspected extremists have been arrested in the past three weeks, and that dozens more have been detained since the start of the year.
Some of those arrested were from Britain, but others were Saudi citizens or residents.
The authorities have said they believe the number of foreign nationals killed or wounded in attacks in Saudi has reached 2,500.
Officials say some of those killed or killed were lured to Saudi Arabia by a Saudi extremist preacher who wanted to establish an Islamic state there.
He was arrested in December and sentenced to death in April.
Authorities say the preacher, Abu Omar al-Saud, was in touch with the leader of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, also known as ISIS, to arrange his release.
Last month, authorities said a Saudi man who planned to bomb a Saudi military parade in Riyadh on March 6, the start, they said, of the kingdom’s King Salman’s official visit to Washington, was killed by security forces and his wife and two children were wounded in the attack.
“The attack has left a deep emotional and financial damage in Saudi Arabian society,” Interior Minister Mohammed bin Abdulaziz Al Saud said in a statement.
Saudi Arabia is home to some of the world’s most dangerous terrorist groups, and the government says it has foiled dozens of plots, but the attacks often remain unproven.